What is SchoolPlan?

SchoolPlan is a free, self-service resource to assist non-government schools in NSW to evaluate the potential to avoid a Development Application through one of the fast-track planning pathways under State Environmental Planning Policy (Transport and Infrastructure) 2021 (T&I SEPP). The objective of this government planning policy is to streamline the development approvals process to ease the pressure on delivering new public and private school facilities and upgrading existing facilities.

Simplifying planning approvals for NSW schools

Can you fast track your project using SchoolPlan?

Use our guide to find out whether your school might be able to use the planning pathways that are available to non-government schools in NSW in the T&I SEPP to avoid a Development Application, and save time, cost and restrictive conditions

Launch SchoolPlan

How to use SchoolPlan

Did you know?

  • There are two distinct pathways under the T&I SEPP for Exempt Development; one kind must be on land within the boundaries of an existing school, while another kind does not

  • A non-government school is a public authority to approve certain kinds of development without the approval of local council

  • Development that is permitted without the consent of local council and that is not Complying Development avoids payment of development contributions to a local Council

  • Just because a part of an allotment is mapped as bush fire prone land does not prevent Complying Development on the other parts of the same allotment

  • Development is not prevented from being Complying Development simply because it is on an allotment on which an item of local or State heritage significance is located, as long as the development is not located on that part of the allotment that is identified and mapped as the heritage item

Approval Pathways

Exempt Development

Development that is of a minor impact and does not require development consent or environmental impact assessment

Complying Development

Development that can be addressed by specified predetermined development standards and requires a complying development certificate (but not a development consent)

Development Permitted without Consent

Development that does not require development consent but requires the relevant public authority to self-assess and self-determine the development

State Significant Development

Development deemed to have State significance due to its size, economic value or potential impacts, where the consent authority will be the Minister or the Independent Planning Commission

Local Development

Development that requires development consent under the terms of a Local Environmental Plan or State Environmental Planning Policy, where the consent authority will be the local Council, the local Planning Panel or a Regional Planning Panel


This free resource is made possible through the collaborative effort of the following business supporters: